Benefits: bathing in hot weather
The Bath Project believes that bathing is an essential part of self-care and that bathing can be beneficial no matter what the weather. So today, on international bath day, if you are experiencing a heat wave at the moment, take a bath and cool down.
Having a bath in hot weather provides several benefits.
1. Cooling down: Even in hot weather, a lukewarm or cool bath helps lower your body temperature and provides relief from the heat. It can help you feel more refreshed and rejuvenated.
2. Relaxation: Soaking in a bath promotes muscle relaxation, which is especially helpful after a long day of outdoor activities or working in the heat. It can help alleviate any muscle aches, strains, or tiredness that may have built up throughout the day.
3. Stress relief: Taking a bath is known for its calming and stress-relieving properties. In hot weather, such relaxation is even more soothing as it takes your mind off the heat and helps you unwind.
4. Hygiene: Sweating is a natural part of being in warm weather. Taking a bath helps cleanse away sweat, dirt, and oils that accumulate on your skin, ensuring better hygiene and preventing body odor or skin irritation.
5. Improved sleep: If you find it difficult to sleep in hot weather, taking a bath before bed can help improve your sleep quality. A drop in body temperature after a bath signals to your body that it’s time to sleep, making it easier to fall and stay asleep.
6. Skin care: Regular baths can help moisturise and exfoliate your skin, as well as keep it clean and clear. Hot weather often causes excess sweating and oil production, which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts, but bathing can help mitigate these issues.
7. Aromatherapy: Adding essential oils or bath salts to your bath can provide additional benefits such as relaxation, stress relief, and mood enhancement, which can be particularly beneficial during hot weather.
Remember to stay well-hydrated before and after your bath, especially if you’re taking a warm bath in hot weather, as it can lead to increased sweating and the potential for dehydration. Drink plenty of water to maintain proper hydration levels and fully enjoy the benefits of your bath.